Ode to My Hair

This poem and picture are NOT my work.  I found it via Black Women Art and as a Naturalista, wanted to share.


Ode to my Hair
by Randolph Williams

I hated you You treated me wrong 
You stole my confidence I couldn’t be strong
Dealing with you was my daily curse 
Like a battle scene I was forced to rehearse
What’s wrong with you? Why can’t you act right? 
I’m done with the struggle I’m too tired to fight.
Everyone says that I should be content 
But they just don’t know how much time I’ve spent
Trying to make this thing work, it’s been my best years 
And still all I have are frustration and tears…
I’m starting to think this just isn’t to be 
Perhaps the best thing 
Is to let you go free
I don’t want to admit the things I’ve put you through 
I can’t say I’ve ever just let you be you
Please don’t betray me, I’m very afraid 
Of what others will think; that my status will fade 
I’ll surrender my ways and give you the wheel 
What our future holds, I must let time reveal
I’m seeing a change, my fears were all wrong 
And I’m changing too; I don’t have to belong!
Now I can’t believe I mistreated you so 
All I needed to do 
Was just let you go
So you be yourself, and I’ll be me 
And we’ll both be happy; we are finally free…


Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! The fact that you decided to come by my little space here on the internet and then felt moved to leave a comment, means the world to me.

You Are Appreciated!