I Thought I Saw You Yesterday


The following piece was written last year, as a way of dealing with the passing of a friend of mine.  At the time that I wrote it, I had a note that said:

"Mark, I'm hoping that this piece will give me the closure I need to finally say "Good-bye" to
Thinking of You
you...I'm sorry...didn't know. wasn't able to confirm your passing until recently...R.I.P King...."

Although I still think about him and there are moments that I refuse to believe that he is TRULY gone, (I guess because I didn’t know and wasn’t able to pay my respects), I can think of him, without crying, although the ache is still present.


I thought I saw you yesterday
Reached out and touched
The presence of what
I thought was you
The actions I saw
Were all you
The voice I heard
Belonged to you too
It was as if
I was transported
Back in time
And you and I
Were standing
Face to face
Again

Although the words
Were not yours
Although the voice belonged
To someone else
They had the same effect
On me
Caused me to
Lose my mind
And envision
That you were really
Still here
Talking to me
Making me smile
And the thought
As false as it was
Caused my soul
To smile

I spent seconds…
Minutes…
Hours…
Caught up
In the rapture
Of you
Or at least
The one
My spirit
Felt
Was you
And started to reminisce
On all the things we used to do
The conversations we had
The moments we shared
Intimate and otherwise
And I started to long
For those moments
Once again
And that longing
Caused me
To reach out
And embrace
The you I saw
Hoping
Wishing
Dreaming
Praying
That it would bring you back
To me
If only for a minute

I awoke this morning
And realized
That it was just my
imagination
Running away from me
My mind
It was
Playing tricks on me
And it hit me – yet again
That you were gone
Too soon
It hit me – yet again
I never
Got the chance
To hear your side
It hit me – yet again
That you would never
Get the chance
To know
To fully understand
Completely comprehend
Just how much
I loved you

And in that moment
It hit me – yet again
How much
It hurts
To know
That you’re gone
And I never
Got a chance
To say
Good-bye
And now
I never will.

© May 4, 2014 (edited May 5, 2014)
Dejanique, "The Coco Poetess"

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! The fact that you decided to come by my little space here on the internet and then felt moved to leave a comment, means the world to me.

You Are Appreciated!