Letting Go



You came along
At a time when I was vulnerable
Unable to fully express myself
Because I wasn’t sure
If I truly knew myself
You were fly
Damn you were fine
And I got caught up
In all of that
Kind of liked the feeling I got
From being around you
Being seen with you
You being seen with me

You were young
A little rough around the edges
But were willing to get
Your grind on
Your hustle on
To get
What you wanted
What you needed
What you desired
Because
It was innate
No one had to show you how
No one had to tell you why
You just knew it
And
I found that
Oh so very attractive

But yanno they say
Everything that glitters
Aint really gold
And so
I found that to be true
With you
You came
At me
Shinning
Ever so brightly
To fade
So very quickly
And became
Someone
That I couldn’t understand
Someone
I didn’t want around me

You had me thinking
That I was losing my mind
Again
Had me feeling
As if
I wasn’t worthy
Again
And I almost
Slipped back
Into that dress
Of dysfunction
That I seem to find
So much comfort in

I say
I almost
Slipped
But something
Something
From
Somewhere
Deep down
Inside of me
Said
To me
Enough is Enough!
Take a stand
Say what you mean
And
Mean what you say!

And so
I had to let you go

Was so scared
That I wouldn’t have the strength
Was so scared
That I wouldn’t have the power
Was so scared
That I wouldn’t have the guts
To show you
the door

Was so scared
That I
Was gonna slip
Into that damn dress
Again

But
I proved
Myself
Wrong
And I
Was so proud
That I found that strength
Was so proud
That I found the power
Was so proud
That I found the guts
To show you
The door
Was so proud
That I
Didn’t slip
Into
That dress
Again
And was able
To stand up
For
Me
Myself
And
I

Yeah
It’s gonna hurt
Not hearing your voice
Not seeing your face
Not feeling your warmth
Beside and inside me
But
I have to believe
That
In the long run
It’s gonna hurt me
Less
Knowing
That I didn’t
Slip
Into that
Got-damn dress
Again
And I’m
One step
One teeny
Tiny
Step
Closer
To ridding
Myself
Of that
Dysfunction
That
Keeps me
From
Loving

Me...Myself...and I...

Enough.


©January 3, 2007
Dejanique - The Coco Poetess

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! The fact that you decided to come by my little space here on the internet and then felt moved to leave a comment, means the world to me.

You Are Appreciated!